I love discussion. If done well it can help everyone learn, better process issues, grow, and better appreciate opposing view points.
If done poorly it can be like walking into a group of middle school girls after one got dumped and her best friend is the new flavor of the week. Heated, emotional, unproductive, and simply painful to bear!
I will never delete a comment because you disagree with me or another commenter.
I will delete comments for these reasons:
- You disagree in a way that is demeaning, mean spirited, and ungracious.
- You do not even attempt to understand opposing view points, you would prefer to simply misrepresent them.
- You aren’t looking for discussion or conversation, rather you enjoy insulting others and the occasional drive-by.
So, don’t be like this guy…
Instead, aim for these three things:
- Rightly understand and fairly represent opposing view points.
- Contribute to the discussion in a way gracious, edifying, and intelligent.
- Deal with the issue being discussed, don’t attack the person.