In doing a series of books that God has used to change my life I decided to start with THE book that has by far had the largest impact on me. According to Plan by Graeme Goldsworthy was a serious game-changer for me.
Goldsworthy introduces the book as a “biblical theology for ordinary Christians.” It was exactly what I needed when I read it. I got this book my first semester of Bible College. When I graduated High School I was clueless on three really important issues (though closely tied together):
- Jesus as the center of all Scripture.
- The relationship between the Old and New Testaments.
- Authority of Scripture.
I had never studied biblical theology and my only relationship with it was the internal tensions I felt while trying to understand my Bible, but didn’t know how to reconcile them.
- What is the primary theme of the Bible?
- What does the Old Testament have to do with Jesus?
- Why does God seem so angry in the Old Testament and so nice in the New Testament?
- What on earth is Revelation all about?
- What is with the animal sacrifices and all the rules (laws) in the Old Testament?
In stepped According to Plan and it rocked my world. The reason why it has undoubtedly been the most impactful book in my life is because it helped me understand the Bible. If you have not read this book, please do. Click on the link above and dig in! My copy has an absurd amount of ink and highlighter filling its pages. It changed my life and because it brings great clarity to Scripture it can change yours as well.